Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Device Convergence in Need of Some Old Ideas

Yes peeps its geek time again! Come on admit it, we all love gadgets, girls and guys alike. The question for me always is, just how much practical use do these pervasive little pieces of black or silver plastic and chrome actually provide us? Moreover, how much impact do they have on our social lives?

So in the practical sense, us gadget lovers and business users still seem to be asking the same old question. When are the manufacturers going to produce a portable device that fuses form and function into an elegant and usable form factor? I'm sure you've come across the same problem yourself. Do I go for a mobile phone and laptop combination; mobile and PDA or smartphone? Nowadays none seem to foot the bill and the manufacturers seem to be hell bent on throwing a plethora of Swiss army knife combinations at us without proper consultation. I may want something that just does the job and allows me to be productive, do I really want to watch clips of Paris Hilton, or Jade Goody on Big Brother and listen to music at the same time? I always marvel at just how many people listen to music through their iPods nowadays when a few years ago, you only saw a number of people listening to music on the tube. I want to shout to all, "you're not real music fans, you weren't there in the days of the original Sony Walkman or MiniDisc!" Well whatever Apple has been feeding us through the headphones it seems to have worked for them.

This comparison review of the Nokia E61i and Motorola Q9H seems to sum up the problem:
My hunch is that we'll see more devices like the Palm Folio or Datawind that fill this niche, as a "phone companion". The big phone manufacturers don't seem to be able to do it themselves, nor do they have any incentive to; hence the relentless propaganda about "convergence". That may be wishful thinking on my part, of course, but a significant part of the business market remains poorly served.
To be honest I haven't had the time to keep track of the latest changes in the gadget world, as I've been pretty busy of late and have pretty much given up on the Holy Gadget Grail and settled for my Sony W880i. So I don't know too much about the Palm Foleo or the Datawind Pocket Surfer. However, although the W880i fills most of my needs and I prefer to do most of my work within a window of time, I still find myself wishing I had something more suited for more productive text entry whilst en route. This takes me back to the days of the Psion 5mx and the Radio Shack WP-2. I personally didn't have the pleasure of owning the latter, but was a devote fan of the former and some of the other models in its lineage. The Psion seemed to give the perfect combination of form and function, and when it came to the power issue, you could run it forever on a pair AA batteries. About 20 hours I recall. Link it to your now antique Ericsson T39 (yes there was life before Sony), or the ubiquitous Nokia 8210, and you had access to email and web surfing. The web experience may have been painful at times, but with WAP the pain was eased somewhat. I even recall my ancient days as a hardcore Ebayer, sneaking some auction wins in the pub or company meeting, whilst all thought I was note taking. :)

What I want to know is why can't the big boys like Sony and Apple or the new Linux based start up manufacturers learn from the past and adopt some of the heritage of these old machines and start building efficient productive devices which we actually want, rather than what they feel we want? I can see the appeal of devices like the Psion 5mx or its Ericsson clone the MC218 for business users who just want to get the job done, and their practical application in developing countries where battery life and price is a premium. This is where the introduction of Linux as an operating system has been a Godsend and there have even been ports of Linux onto these ancient machines.

Until we get thought recognition or holographic screens I suppose we'll have to make do with gear like the Palm Foleo to fill the gap.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home