Friday, April 30, 2010

The search for the uber info management system...

Haven't posted for a while, but thought it worth sharing my thoughts on the above. I'll add more as I get closer to an ideal system. Much of this post is gleaned from my comments on other blogs. So excuse the format.

Great post! I've posted some thoughts, included below, on my search for an uber info management system on a couple of other blogs recently. I arrived at this juncture simply by looking for a way to sync with Google Docs, but I've always been refining my current system, and so requirements include all info capture. I.e. email, notes on the go, feeds, bookmarks and docs etc. I am looking to replace WriteRoom with either NotesPro, EverNote or email to Blogger.com. Ideally, would like to have my info in discreet silos, but with one centralised view and search. So Gmail for email, GTD, tasks and notes, Google Reader for feeds and mail lists, Bookmarks for web clippings, and NotesPro + Google Docs or EverNote. I think I've already discounted email to Blogger as this is the same as my email note to self method and adds an external app to the equation. Right now I'm leaning towards NotesPro because of it's Google Docs syncing, and don't will probably halt my EverNote experiment for now. I'll let the centralised view and search idea stew for a while and see what comes up

Just wrote a long comment and lost it. Anyway, arrived here looking for an improvement to my current info capture method, which is a very streamlined context based Gmail GTD and WriteRoom. I ditched Superstars and cut some more granular GTD Gmail labels as this was getting unwieldly. Ideally wanted to sync with Google Docs, and believe an iPhone app will shortly be able to do that better than what’s out there right now. But I came across Ruud Heins/Darren Crawford while searching. Whilst I am looking for some justification to use Evernote over my existing system, apart from it’s centralisation, syncing and OCR abilities, the use of it combined with a Gmail GTD system seems like duplication or overkill. People on both threads have talked of emailing to Gmail and then forward to Evernote, and using that Gmail copy as an archive. Doesn’t this make EN superfluous? Would love to hear other thoughts on this.

Just realised this search for a simple way to sync with Google Docs has thrown up other needs. So currently.
- Use Gmail GTD for notes and tasks
- WriteRoom for mobile ideas and text capture
- Google Docs for doc management
- Google bookmarks, Gmail and Reader for web clippings

So I think the requirement is to supplement Gmail GTD and Google Docs, but replace Google bookmarks and Gmail for web clips etc in a more centralised method. Go on convince me!

http://ruudhein.com/gmail-to-evernote-information-management-workflow
http://darrencrawford.com/my-simple-gtd-evernote-combo/
http://justanotheriphoneblog.com/wordpress/iphone-software/notes-pro-new-iphone-notes-app-syncs-with-google-docs-has-spotlight-style-search
http://www.cloudnotes.net/2009/06/why-google-reader-is-still-hugely.html

Labels: , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Elegba The Red Dog said...

Just noted that currently NotesPro for iPhone only allows one way sync to Google Docs. NoteMaster app allows true two way syncing and it's image management seems like it can replace EverNote. So no need to duplicate or go outside of the Google metaverse.

9:56 PM  
Blogger Loc said...

ShapeShiftY: Got here via one of your blog comments on the subject. Very interested in whether you've found a solution to "one centralised view and search" This seemed a little close: https://www.greplin.com/ but we weren't satisfied. Would love to chat further!

7:51 PM  
Anonymous ShapeShiftY said...

Hi
Looks like a winner. Haven't found my uber tool yet, but have you seen WebMynd's Firefox Search add on?

10:31 PM  
Anonymous Dogific said...

It's a good thing that google docs are synchronizing with notes pro but whether notes pro was responsive or not? and it's a good way of using gmail GTD instead of using google bookmarks because gmail GTD was synchronized with google docs.
Dogific

3:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home